Sunday 8 December 2013

Amiens

It was so much sadder than I had imagined leaving my idyllic summer behind, but I had to forge on, everyone has to forge on with life. I miss them children and that family dearly, although life goes so fast and that was over two months ago now.
Meanwhile I am yet to write about my trip to Amiens and Paris. Firstly Amiens, is one of the nicest French towns, I have visited. Ok not as nice as La Rochelle but equally as charismatic.

I decided to hire a bike, to explore the city, think green and all of that Jazz. This posed a few minor problems. Initially it became a great French exercise, to work out how to hire the bike to begin with, secondly I had my bike, and was shocked at how heavy it was to ride. It never figured I had a flat tyre, until a very well to do, French lady stopped me on the street and exclaimed ‘Regarde, vous avez un pneu crevé ’

Only slightly embarrassed, no who am I kidding, probably going as red as a tomato, trying to look effortlessly cool, riding around a french city on my bike (Pour moi, c’est tres Parisian et chic). Instead, I had to walk to the next bike service area avec said bike, and bemused French helpers, trying to show me the way. On arrival at the bike service station I was lucky enough to find some council workers, who helped me no end. As I rode away, they were very pleased with my comprehension of their English, if only I had more courage like them, in French.
Finally I rode my way around Amiens, through Little Venice a quaint canal area of Amiens full of little restaurants and cafes, my favourite part of Amiens actually. I then went in search of le maison de Jules Verne.

Jules Verne moved to Amiens, later in his life, and this was the place he died. A treasure trove of detail and memories, I was unaware of Jules Verne’s impact on French literature and society, and have since read, ‘Around the world in 80 days,‘a great majestical adventure, around the world, with an English gentlemen and his French butler, Passepapout.

I even had time to explore the musee du Picardie, a small museum which if I put it frankly was not my cup of tea, especially when the lady asked me, if I was there to collect the fish. I was so excited to explore the exhibition on Lady Godiva, the lady who walked down the street naked in protest, which turns out was one painting.

Nethertheless, I realised I had so much love for this small city, and before I forget, you should all go and see the Catherdral, the biggest in France, I believe. With a believed connection to the Iluminate.

Next stop Paris.

Write soon xx

No comments: