Tuesday 6 August 2013

WANDERLUST!!


After a grueling 24 hours on a coach I was finally in Warsaw, travelling is seriously not as glamorous as it seems, after you have had to sleep, spawned across two ill designed coach sits. However before I new it, the coach was pulling into Warsaw coach station. I longingly looked out of the window.

Everything was grey. The place looked liked it was stuck in a 1970's time warp. Maybe the rain didn't help, or that it was 6 in the morning, and I was a tired, slightly irritable version of myself. Regardless, my mind was made up, I was on my way to Krakow.

Grey and Rainy Warsaw, maybe I picked the wrong day to visit this city. 

After an overnight, coach trip, I was in desperate need of refilling, nothing beats a cup of tea. 

On a very old train - reminded me of the Hogwarts express though. 



Krakow of the other hand, was a buzz with people, alive with music, and I was defiantly so happy to finally arrive. The grand-Square of the old town, reminded me of period drama film set, full of grandeur and 19th Century opulence. That night I decided to stay in a Hostel, I wanted to experience both forms of backpacking. I was fortunate to find a really cheap hostel, costing only £7 a night.

That night, I explored Krakow, the place and the beer. Along with some people I met at the hostel, we made are way to the Jewish Quarter. A square of bohemian, bars and Cafe's and once again, I was shocked at how cheap the beer was, costing around 60p a pint.

When we returned to my hostel, I was met by a thundering noise coming from my dorm, only to find that some man was a rather loud sleeper, so to speak.(I had never heard snoring like it)  - the downside to Hostel life. In least I can laugh about it now, and so did the rest of the Hostel the next day.


 The central Square in the old town of Krakow.
The Central Square in the Old Town of Krakow, plus the famous St Mary's church.

My time was very short in Krakow, as time was ticking on, I now had the big problem of getting to Prague, to meet my next Couch Surfing host, and this was seeming more trickier than I had imagined. I looked at Car sharing as the cheapest option, but unfortunately no one was going all the way to Prague. After hours of researching I finally set about, to met a lady in Krakow who would drive me to Wroclaw, then catch a  overnight bus from Wroclaw to Prague. So simple rite!!

Adios Poland or so I thought.

Nattie x